Alexander Skwar wrote:

> Hi, all!
>
> I'm using rpm-4.0.3-0.15mdk.  Since yesterday, I cannot install any rpm
> packages anymore.  The last thing I installed was talk{,-server}.
> Running rpm thru strace, I see that it hangs at:
>
> 1915  select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, {1, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)

OK, this isn't exactly a fix to the problem, but it will get you up and
running again. I think the database is getting corrupted. What I do and
I've mentioned before on the list:

ncftpget, lftpget, wget whatever ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist/rpm-4.0.x/

rpm-4.0.2.i386.tar.gz

tar xvzf

rpm-4.0.2.i386.tar.gz -C /

rpm --rebuilddb

Then go ahead and

rpm -Uvh --force --replacefiles rpm-*.rpm

and try

rpm --rebuilddb

until it works again.

4.0.3 is on ftp.rpm.org but only as an rpm... bad idea here.. though
alien or cpio or mc can be used to get at them.

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>