On Tuesday 17 July 2001 16:11, you wrote:
> Juhan Leemet wrote:
> > I was trying to upgrade (using rpm -U --force) from the products of
> > ImageMagick-5.3.6-3mdk.src.rpm to 5.3.6-5mdk, rebuilt from cooker SRPM. I
> > get an error message from rpm, saying that the old
> > ImageMagick-devel-5.3.6-3mdk still needs ImageMagick-5.3.6-3mdk. I guess
> > that was wrong in the old package, since the development package should
> > really only need the library, and not the application? The new package
> > has a better name for the development package. Should the
> > %{libname}-devel both provide %{name}-devel and also obsolete
> > %{name}-devel? That seems to work without error.
>
> Currently it provides also %{name}-devel, I'll evaluate if remove this.
>
> Bye.
> Giuseppe.

Does this imply that there is also a subtle rpm bug? Why didn't rpm
"understand" that your package also provided ImageMagick-devel-5.3.6-5mdk,
which is an upgrade to the required ImageMagick-5.3.6-3mdk? I had to
explicitly put in an obsoletes specification, to get past the error message.

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.