Mordechai Ovits wrote:

> It was indeed locales.  Do note, however, that the new locales require a new
> glibc, which may have been the real fix.
>
> I'm writing this email on a nearly stock 8.0 (installed tonight), with just
> enough dependencies satisfied to install the latest rpm rpm.  I intentionally
> installed the latest locales, even though the rpm rpm didn't expressly
> require it.
>
> Any questions?
> Mordy
> --
> Mordy Ovits
> Network Engineer
> Bloomberg L.P.

Thanks for the info. Tomorrow I'm going to start with the last freq CD
(not being blessed with a fast connection) and download all the rpm
dependencies and packages. I hope that glibc is OK though, I had
problems downloading it last time I tried. I'll also try a few ideas to
attempt to install X using a clean install with my S3Virge 86c325. If it
works, I'll report how I fixed it, and if not I'll moan.
--
Anna