On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, David Walluck wrote:

> Claudio wrote:
>
> > CHANGELOG for X-CD-Roast 0.98 alpha 9
> > 18.07.01:
> >
> >     * RELEASED X-CD-Roast 0.98alpha9
> >
> > 17.07.01:
> >
> >     * update the writeable flag in HD setup
> >     * final touches to non-root wrapper
> >
> > We could finally use this nice program as non-root!!! :)))
> > C.

C. you should already beable to run xcdroast as non root

> Wekk, I know it's safest for Mandrake to disallow any SUID binaries in
> rpms, but when we are talking about a media player that does not let the
> remote world connect to it, is there really much harm in it?

With this yes, you have to really trust who you give access to there is
nothing to stop them from reading things they shouldn't or worse.

> I also noticed that smbmount, and KDE's lisa, do not function properly
> unless they are SUID.
>
> I don't know a good way around this, because Mandrake does not ask you
> questions when you install (and I have always loved this over Debian's
> method), but it'd be nice to know which binaries system-wide needed SUID
> to work properly when not root.

>=) Once identified most can be eliminated

> Maybe if someone maintained a list?

*points* Your idea, your job. Theres probably one out there already but a
quick grep(or 1k) would answer the question.

--
                                        --Axalon