I've had problems with my s3virge 86c325 video card in every Mandrake
distro from 7.0 except for 7.2. This morning, determined to try and find
out why, I performed a clean text expert install of Mandrake Freq. I
remembered to switch consoles before my system froze, so I managed to
read an error message for the first time. I'm in Windows now and the
Mandrake install destroyed so much data recovering from the freeze and
running fsck that I no longer have the message, but I did write it down.

starting step 'configure x'
resetting /etc/mtab
writing /mnt/etc/fstab
to put in modules
selecting packages
all packages installed
running /etc/rc.d init
xfs starting with /root/mnt
unknown package NVIDIA_GLY

First, a small comment. In text mode I had no warning to change to the
2nd installation cd so not all my packages were installed, but that was
normal in the 8 betas and I just installed them later. What "writing
/mnt/etc/fstab" means I haven't a clue, fstab should be in /etc, not in
/mnt.
Finally, could my s3v 86c325 card be misdetected as an nvidea that is
not supported and that is causing the freeze? I can't even produce an
xf86conf file with xf86config in any version of 8, and if the card is
not properly detected that would explain why XConfigurator also freezes
up, maybe.
My next task, find my 7.2 disks, install a minimal 7.2 with X(again),
then upgrade and hope that my filesystem isn't so damaged that I can't
recover it(again).
--
Anna