Vincent Meyer wrote:

> Hello,
>
>       The last couple of kernel packages seem to have a problem when
> shutting down.  The system hangs when shutting down the eth0.  The
> dhcp demon returns with exit status 1, and the system shutdown stops.
> flickers for like 0.1 seconds when they're hit, then nothing happens.
>
>       Unfortunately, at this point the file systems are still mounted, and
> the only way out is to power down, which gives fsck a tone of stuff to fix the
> next time the system is started.
>
>       Anyone else seen this?  is there a work-around?
>
>       Vinny

I went back to the 2.4.3-20mdk kernels because of the the problems these
new kernels were giving me. Maybe they will wise up for 2.4.7 -- don't
patch it if it doesn't need fixing. Anyway, some of the symptoms for me
were being unable to start X because it complained of DMA problems in
the kernel, and the screen would go black and the harddrive light would
be stuck on with no apparent disk activity. I can't say that I
experienced your problems though.

Looking through the kernel config I noticed that the SB Live! gameport
option was not enabled. I have an SB Live!, so can someone enable it? I
attempted to compile from kernel-source, but everything compiled in as a
module would not compile -- something is royally screwed up with the
later 2.4.6 kernels. Of course, when you streamline your kernel, you
find there's some things Mandrake assumes you have enabled, and some
things stop working, or at least stop working as good as they did with
the bloat-kernel.

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck