What is the "if" short for in ifup and ifdown? I also
have a problem getting a modem to function through an
isp for internet access when I have my lan connection
up (even when the internet portion of the lan is
down). I have tried "disable existing DNS servers
during connection" but that had no effect. I even
tried "auto-configure hostname from this ip" in modem
settings. Is there a way to get the two to work
together so if the lan internet connection is spotty
then it can be supported by a modem connection, or at
least superceded by it without having to bring down
the lan connection. Currently if the network internet
connection goes down I have to go onto a desktop
machine and as root type "ifdown eth0" before the user
can use the modem for internet access.

> same as 'ifup eth0'?

=====
SI Reasoning