Thomas Spuhler wrote:

> This seems to be a normal scenario with S3V cards. The same with Redhat 7.1
> Redhat installs in graphical mode, you can check your X settings including
> display test and reboot and then keyboard and mouse become inactive as soon
> as the systems boots into the x-windows.
> I read at another site grom somebody who hacked the code for the S3 Savage
> that he found accidentally a conflict with the gdm/kdm that re-routes all
> signals from the KB and mouse to dev0
>
> The X-windows can be configured using xf86config. But then again, when
> starting the X-window with startx the system hangs.
> I think a knowledgeable programmer needs to invest some hours.
> I am using a S3Virge (86c325) but have the same problem with the 86c375
> Tom Spuhler

I can configure X windows using xf86config on everything but Mandrake 8
and Debian. With Debian this could be the answer, so it may be worth
trying that out without gdm/kdm, but Progeny Debian configures X in
graphical install and everything works as long as the console mouse
server isn't installed.
I haven't tried RH 7.1 yet, RH 7.0 has no problems with graphical
install with the s3virge 86c325, but Mandrake 8.0 won't even install X
in expert text mode.
This is certainly something that I think should be looked into, as this
is a popular chipset.

Anna Lawless