Andrej, I'm one of those who doesn't like Aurora (hate it actually), but
I do see it as having a place.  It does put a nice friendly face on the
boot routine of Linux.  At least it's more informative than a Windows
logo with a cycling color bar.
If it's unmaintained, perhaps someone should pick up the torch and run
with it.  It'd be nice if Aurora could meaningfully deal with things
like Kudzu.