Hi.

I've spent the day testing our beloved first Beta (including updates
up to and from today). Here it goes.

Hardware:

- Acer TravelMate 521 TEV laptop
- 600 MHz P III, 256 MB RAM
- Intel EtherPro 100
- Ati Rage Mobility M, 8 MB
- Ali soundchip (trident module)
- 13,3 '' LCD screen, 1024x768
- CD-ROM/DVD Matsushita
- Connected to a hub/router
- The usual stuff: touchpad, PCMCIA-, USB-, parallel ports

Everything working fine in 8.0.

Overall impression:

- quite nice. No showstopper bugs here.
- *slow*: on a standard installation it takes 2:50 (yes, almost three
  minutes) to get from the boot screen into KDE. In KDE itself I can
  actually watch the background redraw when moving windows. Some
  applications need 30 seconds to come up. I'm just lucky I'm not using
  KDE ... :-)

Installation:

- languages selection not sorted alphabetically, same goes for keyboard
  list.
- installation type: the help file mentions *three* installation types
  ('Recommended' 'Customized' 'Expert') and refers to the 'Primary
  usage' setting. We don't have those anymore :-) amd only two choices.
- I'm not sure but in 'recommended' mode I don't remember having seen
  the 'how many CDs you've got?' screen. Intended?
- Partitioning. The partition sizes chosen by DiskDrake when left on its
  own devices ('auto-allocate') are sub-optimal. Here's for 3 GB of free
  space:

  1,7 GB for /, 243 MB for swap, 1.1 GB for /home
  When using the 'with /usr' setting:
  392 MB for /, 243 MB for swap, 1.2 GB for /usr, 1.2 GB for /home

  Who needs a GB for home? Isn't there a way to set a hard limit for
  auto-allocate to let's say 400 MB and *always* allocate the rest to /
  or /usr?
- Screen during package installation. How about a different colour for
  the progress bar? Slightly fairer blue on slightly darker blue isn't
  all clear ;-). Also: Please replace the last sentence in the help
  screen to this screen with something like: "This operation will take a
  few minutes, depending on chosen installation size and hardware
  equipment." The current sentence is Frenglish.
- Printer installation failed - but I guess you already know why :-)
- Bootloader installation: Maybe we should add a sentence to the help
  screen in 'expert mode' how *not* to install a bootloader. *Many* people
  want to know that.

After installation:

- no FB (is working on 8.0)
- Aurora in consequence isn't working either.
- supermount doesn't work (missed the error message but should be
  common)
- Audio chip gets recognized correctly during installation but then
  'disappears'. HardDrake lists it as 'other device'. However, after
  restarting X the sound works, and the trident module gets loaded.
- 'printerdrake' will die silently when CUPS isn't installed. It should
  install CUPS if it isn't there. Actually it does open the tray, but
  there's no message on the screen ...
- hostname. Now that's a very weird error and I will have to recheck
  tomorrow, but my hostname was set to '.' (yes, that's a full stop).
  Easy to fix with DrakNet, but things like these can really confuse new
  users ... I still don't know which file caused this 'unusual' name.

Usability:

- The new interface to the Software Manager is really nice. Like it.
  What I don't like, though, is that you still can't interrupt downloads
  and that you still don't see, what SM is doing during this time.
  It would be very nice if you could redirect the messages from wget to
  a X window, and if you could implement a way to kill it :-)
- Where's the Euro symbol? I don't have it.
- a lot of 'can't stat /usr/share/applnk-mdk: no such ...'
- MCC: When opening the Software Manager (SM) for the first time, it
  covers the whole of the MCC window. This is inconsistent to what the
  other screens do. I know, you can resize it, but how to do that isn't
  very obvious. Well, apt-get works just fine *grin*
- KDM displays every window manager, if it's installed or not.
- GNOME: A Netscape-Communicator icon? Who the hell needs that? And why
  is it on GNOME and not on KDE?
- I can't remember seeing a 'create bootdisk' screen in 'recommended
  mode'
- Can we add a small 'Press ESC to pass options to LiLo' to the graphical
  bootloader screen?
- USB/hotplug. Uhm, how's that supposed to work? The man page refers to
  init.d script which isn't part of our package. To get my ZIP to work I
  had to:
  edit /etc/sysconfig/usb and set 'Storage' to yes'
  restart usb
  It's *very* cool that you don't have to worry about mount points and
  fstab anymore. Now if supermount would work ...

Packages (referring to a standard installation with no changes to the
package selection screen):

- no pcmcia installed, no slocate, no howtos, no mandrake-doc, no
  localized man-pages
- but gcc3.0, seven (!) web browsers, uucp (anyone still using it? Wow)

Minor glitches:

- The Nautilus bookmarks are very interesting... Can we change them? Or
  will you ever feel a sudden urge to visit the website of LinuxOne?
- DrakNet is neat. There's one error though: If dhcpcd is running and
  you do some configuring in DrakNet, it will restart the network
  _without_ stopping (-k) dhcpcd first. Which of course kills eth0. Not
  nice :-)
- There's no explanation for the 'fam' server.
- No automatic power down after system halt.

Tomorrow I will test B1 on my desktop machine.

cu

tom

--
Thomas 'tom' Berger, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.mandrakeuser.org/
All advice provided without warranty of any kind. I *may* be wrong ...