I have installation with English and Russian languages selected during
installation. System language is set to Russian (KOI8-R to be sure),
i18n variables are ru_RU.KOI8-R.

I mostly do ssh from a workplace that does not support Russian display
(never had real need for that actually). I can reset LC_TIME and
LC_MESSAGES to prevent (unreadable) Russian text. BUT! How can I prevent
man pages from being displayed in Russian? The problem is not trivial:

Mandrake does not actually have *English* manual pages. It has fallback
pages, that are displayed if nothing else is found. I.e. it has
/usr/share/man/ru for Russian but does *not* have /usr/share/man/en for
English - it has /usr/share/man

Now, man seems to have (I checked sources once) the weirdest way to
select language to display. It tries all possible language variables and
falls back to /usr/share/man (a.k.a. English) *only* when nothing more
is found. It means, that if one of the LANG, LC_MESSAGES, LANGUAGE (and
possibly more) has ru in it - I get Russian manual pages.

I definitely do not want to reset all language variables just to please
man. I do not want to deinstalll Russian manuals. I just want to tell
man to display English man pages.

I claim it is Mandrake packaging bug. English manuals should be packaged
under /usr/share/man/en just like all other languages. It could then be
used as default fallback as well.

-andrej