I've been pretty slow off the starting grid for 2.2, worried about all the
woeful messages on the lists.  Here's my experience with Mandrake 8.0 so
far:

Before starting on the Mandrake RPMs from the KDE ftp site, I had to
install the following Cooker & 8.0 RPMs to satisfy dependencies:
XFree86-4.1.0-8mdk.i586.rpm (for libXv.so.1 and libXxf86dga.so.1)
fam
pcre
libSDL1.2 and libSDL1.2-mixer
sgml-tools and sgml-common
libldap2
libsasl7

I was using Mandrake 8.0's Qt2-2.3.0-3.  I uninstalled kdegraphics-devel
and did `rpm --replacefiles -Uvh *.rpm` in the KDE2.2 directory (to avoid
conflicts with evolution and efax).

On rebooting after a (successful?) upgrade, KDM appeared but when I tried
to log in I got the infamous message
        There was an error setting up inter-process
        communications for KDE. The message returned
        by the system was:

        Could not read network connection list
        /home/peter/.DCOPserver_penguin.ruskin_:0

        Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!

So I removed /home/peter/.DCOPserver_penguin.ruskin_:0 and deleted /tmp
contents, renamed .kde and tried to log in again...the same crap.
Trying to start some KDE apps from a terminal produced "error while
styleChange__8QToolBarR6QStyle".

I then did all of the above again, after `rpm -e`ing all KDE and Qt, this
time using Qt2.3.1 (from cooker).  Result the same.

All of the above again, this time using Texstar's optimised RPMs
(objprelink) from http://www.pclinuxonline.com.  Result the same.

I'm still getting the dcopserver and libkdeui.so.3 problems that prevent
me from starting KDE.  All this work in the meantime has to be done in
gnome, which I'm certainly _not_ enjoying.

I am a bit baffled what to try next - obviously many people have
succeeded, so what am I doing wrong?

While I ponder this, and the meaning of life (42?), I'm downloading KDE's
tarballs.
--
                         Peter Ruskin, Wrexham, Wales.
        Registered Linux User No. 219434 ( see http://counter.li.org/ ).