yOn 26 Aug 2001, Robert Fox wrote:

> I appreciate the feedback so far - there appears to be several tools to
> use (wget,rsync,fmirror,mirror,lftp,etc.)
>
> It's a tad confusing trying to figure out the ideal tool, let alone the
> correct syntax and parms to use.

rsync is better in my experience.

> Can I rsync on top of the wget tree I downloaded?

Yes. Because wget does not preserve mtime (does it nowadays?) rsync
will check every file. You may want to try -I first to ignore file times
in comparison.

The simplest syntax to download cooker with rsync is

rsync -av --delete rsync://ftp.sunet.se/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/
/local/mirror/cooker/i586/

This will mirror everything and delete files not found on server.

There were several scripts that rename local files to take advantage of
rsync algorithm. In my experience it does not bring much. Where rsync is
*very* good - is downloading of hdlist. Instead of 12MB every time it ends
up only in several KB - it is really only difference between old and new.

-andrej