> I noticed this myself actually.  When I did the first rsync download
> an empty directory, I got the rpms and not RPMS as one would expect.
> I am downloading to a FAT32 mounted partition - this may have
something
                        ^^^^^ do not do this! It is not a file system
:-)
> to do with it . . . not case sensitive I guess.

Even worse. FAT has 2 seconds time resolution, so you may get
interesting things here as well. Get yourself decent file system :-)

Seriously, it is (known) Linux bug. It does not create long filenames
for 8.3 files vfat, and then it automatically *lowers* short filenames
(for long filenames case is preserved). Sorry, get yourself decent file
system :-( If you cannot repartition - consider creating loop device.

Regards,
        -andrej