I just updated to 0.22mdk of popt* and rpm*.  Still the problem exists.
Has anybody had a chance to interpret the strace output I sent?

--
TTFN,
Lonnie Borntreger

Our mission is to authoritatively promote timely methods of
empowerment so that we may endeavor to collaboratively supply
inexpensive opportunities to exceed customer expectations