guran wrote:

> Hi
>
> VERSION (rsync ftp.sunet.se)
> /ChangeLog/1.568/Thu Sep  6 16:33:18 2001//
> Mandrake Linux Cooker-i586 20010906 22:17
>
> I had some murky experiences of sound, in this install. No sound at the start
> of KDE, but that has come back, none still in FlightGear and none in
> RealPlayer.
>
> I went to Mdk Control Center, my SB AWE 64 PNP was set at 210/6 and it has
> always run at 220/5.
>
> I went into old sndconfig and then it came up in the old numbers and I have
> sound at the start of KDE and in RealPlayer.
>
> regards
> guran
> --
> Mandrake Linux 8.1 beta Cooker kernel-2.4.8-19 vers:1.568

You have sound in KDE? That means that the artsd is working, which takes
control of /dev/dsp. While artsd is running (It can be set to start up
at login.) any program that tries to directly connect to /dev/dsp may
return an error if you start it from the command-line, and definitely
start (if it starts at all) without sound. If you're not starting it
from the command-line, you miss any error messages and wonder what the
hells going on. *speaking from experience* At command-line, try
killall artsd
program-name
After program finishes,
artsd & as normal user to restore KDE sound.

There is a program called artsdsp that tries to emulate the /dev/dsp
file, so you may be able to get a program running with arts. However,
I've tried running on LM8.0
artsd &
artsdsp esd &(Works - gives me arts and esd services.)
artsdsp festival_server (A voice synthesiser server.)
and it seems that only one artsdsp connection can be made at the same
time. Additionally, I tried the mirror of this
esd &
esddsp artsd &
And arts will not connect to the esd emulation of /dev/dsp. *sighs*

What would be nice is if esd and/or artsd could be set up like a
sound-tee. Artsd/esd connect to the soundcard and serve arts/esound
calls. Additionally any calls to /dev/dsp are routed automatically to a
pipe in the sound server that acts like /dev/dsp. What would be REALLY
nice is if they could be set up to supply lots of pipes, eg. /dev/dsp,
/dev/dsp1, /dev/dsp2 and all calls are mixed by the server. Yeah. I know
- lotta work, and it would probably have to partially exist in the
kernel, if anywhere.
--
      Joal Heagney is: _____           _____