Le Vendredi 7 Septembre 2001 14:28, Pixel scribit :
> Borsenkow Andrej <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > New install with root on ext3 - booted from boot floppy and root
> > correctly mounted as ext3. Good!
> >
> > Which brings up the old question - is it possible to add filesystem
> > options to diskdrake? I noticed that ext3 is in ordered data mode by
> > default (slowest) and you have (obvious) way to change. In any case,
> > having mount options would be very useful (in advanced mode only :-)
>
> my todo is getting big :-(

courage ! Cheer up ! if you do it, before the end of the year I move to Paris
( I'm in rouen ) and I pay you a resto and a night in a salsa bar !

> anyway, what's the default option you think is right?

It seems that ordered is recommended for all general-purpose needs
a link : http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-08-22-004-20-NW-RH

an extract :

Speed:
Despite writing some data more than once, ext3 is often faster (higher
throughput) than ext2 because ext3's journaling optimizes hard drive head
motion. You can choose from three journaling modes to optimize speed,
optionally choosing to trade off some data integrity. One mode,
data=writeback, limits the data integrity guarantees, allowing old data to
show up in files after a crash, for a potential increase in speed under some
circumstances. This mode, which is the default journaling mode for most
journaling file systems, essentially provides the more limited data integrity
guarantees of the ext2 file system and merely avoids the long file system
check at boot time. The second mode, data=ordered (the default mode),
guarantees that the data is consistent with the file system: recently-written
files will never show up with garbage contents after a crash. The last mode,
data=journal, requires a larger journal for reasonable speed in most cases
and therefore takes longer to recover in case of unclean shutdown, but is
sometimes faster for certain database operations. The default mode is
recommended for all general-purpose computing needs.

--
Copyleft Faber's prod. 2001
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/linux_wizard/index.html