Borsenkow Andrej <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> Nope, it does not work for non-devfs case (tested). Kernel will probe
> scsi_hostadapter *only* if no hostadapters are registered. It means, if you
> have two (me as example :-) and one of them is loaded and other not - kernel
> will not try to modporbe host_adapter at all (which is awfull kludge anyway).

good point. Ok, so:

probeall scsi_hostadapter module1 module2
  in /etc/modules.conf
scsi_hostadapter
  in /etc/modules (need for non-devfsd)
scsi_hostadapter instead of scsi-hosts in /etc/modules.devfs

[...]

> - ide-scsi is unconditionally loaded in rc.sysinit:
>
> if grep -q "ide-scsi" /proc/cmdline ; then
>          modprobe ide-cd >/dev/null 2>&1
>          modprobe ide-scsi >/dev/null 2>&1

this is needed if you ide-cd module and don't want your cdrom to be seen as
scsi. It's not needed when ide-cd is not in module (which is our case). So i
propose:

if grep -q "ide-scsi" /proc/cmdline ; then
         modprobe ide-cd >/dev/null 2>&1 && modprobe ide-scsi >/dev/null 2>&1

> It may be leftover, now ide-scsi is preloaded in /etc/modules; so this
> probably should be removed? In any case, it prevents autocleaning module.

as for scsi modules, we're going away from autocleaning. ethx modules should
not be autocleaned either. Good spot for autocleaning are the fs modules.

> - there is someting strange with ide-scsi CDs; instead of creating link to
> /dev/scsi/... plain block device is created:
>
> filr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           33 ???  1  1970 cdrom0 ->
> ../ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd
> brw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      11,   0 ???  1  1970 cdrom1
>
> I do not know if it may have some side-effect; in any case, permisions from
> pam_console are not applied here so you get world-readable device. It may be
> considered a problem. OTOH canonical path has correct permissions:
>
> {pts/1}% ll /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
> brw-rw----    1 bor      cdwriter  11,   0 ???  9 23:15
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
>
> as tey should be. I have no idea who does it.

booh :-(