> > By the way, why do we have now to be in audio group to play sound ??
> > (this is a real question)
>
> before devfs I think the permissions were set when logging in (see
> /etc/security/console.perms). I don't know why this was changed, maybe
it
> just needs to be fixed?

They still are. The only problem is when module is loaded *after* you
have logged in. In this case sound devices get 660 as per devfsd.conf.

I believe, pam_console_apply should be extended to allow device name as
argument and used in devfsd.conf, like

REGISTER       .*              EXECUTE /sbin/pam_console_apply $devpath

We do not need to do anything on unregistered.

What I do *not* like, is that this triggers CHANGE action additionally.
But that's another problem ...

-andrej