Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:

>svetljo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>>>Of course. The problem is to make a -bootdisk- (on a standard 1.44 floppy)
>>>with XFS support.
>>>
>>on a single standart floppy it simply doesn't work
>>we need 2 floppies , the other solution is zip/ supper disk (100/120Mb) or
>>CD with 2.88Mb boot image or hd emulation
>>but not everybody has zip/supper disk or cd writer
>>

>There is also the superformatted floppies (as for example XFS people talks
>about[1]) but it's a no-go because too dangerous.
>
>And actually having bootdisks is not that important since you normally
>boot your system with on-disk bootloader, and when you need to rescue you
>can use CDROM distro (or network floppy etc) to launch our rescue.
>
>Of course if we can fix current problem it's cool but I don't want to put
>a dirty and hassling hack in mkinitrd/mkbootdisk for an issue that I don't
>see as crucial (XFS large code + medium important need for booting from
>floppy).

and what if smbd install on XFS /  raid  and can not remember
exactly which stripe_size and/or raid_dev and/or in which order he maked
the raids
the kernel from the CD doesn't have compiled in raid so no autodetect
i'm really happy that you didn't abandoned XFS ( i was realy afraid of
that)
 what in case smbd upgrade the lvm  tools and kernel code

the CD can not help in these cases
there allways be need for a custem created boot disk/s

or the person should have some more place and reinstall, upgrade the
tools or create the " special " kernel
and then use them to rescue the old system
is that not crucial