Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:

> "Mark D'voo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

>>why do files seem to randomly dissapear and reapear from /dev??  I'm using
>>beta 3, and everything was working fine, but suddenly i can't use my burner.
>>it has /dev/hdb, /dev/scd0, and now neither of those are there, what
>>happened??
>>

> that called devfs, if the link is not here it mean the device is not
> detected.. You can still have the old behavior thought by booting with
> devfs=nomount.

Unfortunately, it is not quite true. At least ther following SW does not
work (correctly) in this case

- LVM (because it parses /proc/partitions and it contains devfs-style
names that do not exist).
- ALSA (as discussed several times)

may be more.

So, as soon as you enabled devfs in kernel you are expected to use it.
Booting with devfs=nomunt is really just for emergency (as we had
recently ...)

-andrej