The newer modems use com ports 5 and above.  Could you add the comports 5 through 8 into the new upgrade of Linux-Mandrake  I will give you some information that I think could be helpful to you.  I still don't get the speed and even flow of data with respect to downloading and uploading as I do with Windows 98 (I use "Tweakdun" to optimize my connectios.), but I would like to.  I am using the new Netscape Navigator 6.1 and it seems to be better than the other versions in many respects.  It would be nice to be able to click on the netscape link on the desktop and have it dial and log on with an optional no user intervention.  Perhaps this could be done with a script?  I am a newbie, but I want to be primarily a linux end user.

I am using a new modem, "56K Internal PCI Call Waiting Modem" with V.92 and V.44 compression.  The modem has a hardware controller and It uses comport 5.  This is what I had to do to get Linux_mandrake 8.0 to see it and use it.

Get in "root".
Type "ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem" and then press enter key.
Next type "chmod 666 /dev/ttyS4" and then press the enter key.
Type "chmod 666 /dev/modem" and then press the enter key.

"Here you can do a "cat /proc/pci" and then press enter to get the port, irq, etc. info.)

Next type "setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A port 0xdc00 irq 11" and then hit the enter key.

Add the above line to the "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" file and then save it (overwrite it).  This can be tested with a program like "minicom".

These are examples of some "At Commands" recommended with ny owner's manual.

Try this one first..."at&fw2s109=2s38=1s37=14" - It didn't work for me.

Then try this one "at&fs38=1s109=2".  This will try to connect with V.90 first and if it can't, then it will default to V.34 rates.  This works for me.

There are other examples, but I think these are the best ones.

Regards,

Dave Brodeur