While the installation of 8.1 worked like a dream , i had somme little
problems afterwards:

1) MandrakeFirstTime did not work as expected I was not allowed to enter
anything in the fields (or is this deactivated?)

2) Creating a boot floppy does not work, I know the problem is, that I
use XFS and ReiserFS partitions, but it just died with a "not enough
space on device" message, but no useful information or even better a
solution was presented

3) When booting I got an error message from rc.modules, line 17 242
Speicherzugriffsfehler (memory access error), the problem disappeared
after I removed scsi_hostadapter from /etc/modules

4) My CD-ROMs (with ide-scsi) and my SCSI-Scanner (HP Scanjet 4c) did
not work initially, even as root I got a message stating that I don't
have the rights to scan the scsi-bus, in /proc/scsi, I could find the
two CD-Drives (one of them a burner) but no Scanner. The modules.conf
looked:

+++
alias usb-interface usb-uhci
probeall scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx ide-scsi
alias eth0 ne2k-pci
probeall aic7xxx aic7xxx ide-scsi
above snd-card-ens1370 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-ens1370
+++

after removing the scsi-lines and running depmod -a everything worked
fine, BUT now even if I change back to the original modules.conf and do
depmod -a again, it works, strange...

5) /etc/fstab was wrong: two entries for my first cdrom (/dev/hdc and
/dev/scd0 but none for the burner)

bye
suka