Hi everyone,

Here is my story or case (call it like you want)
I've installed 8.1 on a computer's friend two days ago. Just to show him how
linux-mandrake was great !
Here are the specs of the machine :

k6-2/450mhz
256 mb ram
msi-1541 mother board
graphic card asus tnt 16mb
realtek NIC
ide cdrom (hdc)
2 ide hd (hda & hdb)
soundblaster pci 128

The install went perfectly. No troubles at all. I'm very impressed by the work down.
I choose the expert mode for an new install.
then comes the reboot time.
The first time I didn't notice anything. Except that the machine was slow to boot.
My init level is 3.
For root, login time was ok. But for other user, login was taking more than five
seconds.
I was surprised.
So I log as my common user. And I type : ls
Hum, same bug as for 8.0 The colors syntax of the shell is buggy. Directories are blue
and crossed.
After a startx, I discovered that the xterm program wasn't installed. Maybe my mistake
when I choose the package to install. I discovered that rxvt package was installed, so
I put the cd in the cdrom, and decided to install the xterm package. But the command
"mount /mnt/cdrom" freeze my console.
No trouble, second console. kill the mount process.
Back to level 3, I type : "mount /mnt/cdrom".
BIG OOOPS.
Kernel errors. Unable to open /dev/cdrom.
Ok, I thought that was not a big deal.
the ls -al /dev/cdrom said that ../cdroms/cdrom/0 doesn't exist. hum ??? Where is my
cdrom ?
Ok. dmesg just in case.
here is it : devfsd error : ide_cdrom_setup failed on hdc.
So I decided to change the lilo.conf and delete the line "append devfs=mount"
I reload lilo.
And reboot.
Ahhhh, boot is much faster.
mount /mnt/cdrom => same kernel error.
OOOOPS.
No problem, I have some spare cdrom drive.
halt the machine. unplugged everything. I changed the cdrom drive.
GO, boot time.
dmesg to check. nothing change. Ok, the problem is not the drive. The problem is devfs.
Solution : kernel compilation then everything went fine without devfs. You can imagine
the face of my friend.
;-)

linux-mandrake is still great !
If you need more info. Tell me I will go to my friend house and get the infos.
So the mean point of this story is : "DEVFS SUCKS"

--
franck Villaume
website under construction