>   Once I turn NAT on all communication between the 2 nic cards seems
>   to die.  With NAT off I can send data between the 2 sides (I put a
>   machine on the outside network for test.)

What exactly do you mean? Please, give command that worked before and
fails after NAT has been enabled, together with port numbers you are
trying to access if they are not well known.

>   in /etc/sysconfig/iptables I add the following line in the NAT
>   section
>
>   -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j SNAT --to 216.62.231.57-216.62.231.60

You were better off to post full contents ...

>   I have also tried both with and without ip aliases on eth0 of the
>   translated addresses.

... and giving yout network configuration. Do

ifconfig -a
netstat -rn
iptables -L -v

-andrej