Well, on two systems I have almost 100% reproducible case of system
hanging at several well defined points. They are

- rc.sysinit when pam_cconsole_apply is called
- sound loading when pam_console_apply is called from devfsd.conf for
sound devices
- logon when pam_console_apply is called by PAM.

All of them show mostly the same trace as I already sent. It looks like
it should be sent to kernel list.

I can eliminate two first case but not the third (at least, I do not
want to). It appears that if you have empty /lib/dev-state system does
not hang so I probably simply turn off this copying (and resort ti
symlinking /dev/modem by hand :-)

-andrej