I searched messages on mod_frontpage and see this one is closest to my
experiences.

I believe the "document root" error is due to the split up of Mandrake's
apache config giles into several sub files.   You can concantenate httpd.conf
and the others into a single dummy config file.  Then specify the dummy file
for the frontpage config filename.