I just installed kernel-source-2.4.12-3mdk and headers last night on one
computer. No problem works great.
Have original 8.1 kernel and this on it now.

On the second computer ( I do have more cooker updates on this computer)
I just tried to start the same kernel install.

It complains of needing ncurses-devel. I said, "hmmm". Looked and it
isn't on the other computer at all. So ncurses-devel also being called
something else and that satisfied the dependancy?

Ncurses-5.2-16 was installed. Looks like that is all it really needs.
Since there is no ncurses-devel-5.2-16mdk on the 8.1 iso.

Just installed ncurses-5.2-16mdk from the iso and the kernel-source just
installed.