Paolo Pedroni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Il 12:43, marted́ 30 ottobre 2001, hai scritto:
>
> > Do you use it often? Did it allow you to detect memory problems in the
> > real world?
>
> I detected memory problems at least three times, using memtest. It just works!
> Now, everytime some friend of mine asks me to check their malfunctioning
> computer, first thing I do is stick a memtest floppy disk in their drive and
> check their memory.

Personally, I use for a long time the simple following thing: I recompile
100 times a kernel, storing the logs, and I then verify all the logs are
the same ; when memory or chipset or processor are malfunctioning,
sometimes GCC receives signal-11 because of failing hardware.

I'm wondering if "memtest" would not miss some of the errors; also it
doesn't use the harddisk so it can miss chipset problems related to disk
probably.

Of course, "memtest" is really more easy to use than recompiling a kernel.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/