le jeu 08-11-2001 at 23:31 Todd Lyons a écrit :
> Matias Griese wrote on Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 03:22:04PM +0200 :
> >
> > XMMS: The must have X multimedia system -- ?!?
>
> The only thing misleading there is the capitalization.  I would suggest:
> "XMMS:  The X MultiMedia System mp3/ogg player"

I'm a new Windows transfuge.
X ? what's X ?
Multimedia System ? what's the definition of multimedia. We have audio (
mp3, ogg, wma, rm ), video ( mpeg, avi, divx, vob ) and sometimes
editing.
Basically xmms is used as a mp3/ogg player and is considered as a winamp
clone. It is not a true multimedia player.
With the version of mdk ( and the GPL edition of the distribution ), you
can't play divx ( need of win32dll, they may think to use Divx4 or
ffmpeg ), to play mpeg you need smpeg ( unless you suggest it to the
user it will not install smpeg ).
xmms can't read wma and other exotic format. The same for video ( asf,
vob, ... ). And concerning editing : no luck.
A true multimedia player is ... mplayer as it supports many input format
( VCD, DVD, MPEG 1/2 System Stream (PS/PES/VOB) and Elementary Stream
(ES) file formats, RIFF AVI file format, ASF/WMV v1.0 files, QT/MOV
format ), and audio & video format : MPEG1 (VCD) and MPEG2 (DVD) video
,DivX ;-), OpenDivX (DivX4) and other MPEG4 variants, Windows Media
Video 7 (WMV1) and 8 (WMV2) used in .wmv files, Intel Indeo codecs
(3.1,3.2,4.1,5.0), MJPEG, ASV2 and other hardware formats, MPEG layer 2,
and layer 3 (MP3) audio (native code, with mmx/sse/3dnow optimization),
MPEG layer 1 audio (native code, with libavcodec), AC3 dolby audio
(native code, with sse/3dnow optimization), Ogg Vorbis audio codec
(native lib), Voxware audio (using directshow DLL), alaw, msgsm, pcm and
other simple old audio formats ) and you can encode in OpenDivx. So
mplayer is a true multimedia player.
To play divx it doesn't need win32 dll. It can use DivX4 ( 4.02 ) or
OpenDivx ( about the same ) or ffmpeg (
http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/#formats ) :
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/codecs.html#2.2.1

Basically xmms is a winamp clone with some extra capabilities ( playing
mpeg/avi thanks to smpeg and avifile and divx with win32 dll ).

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/info.html

--
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/linux_wizard/index.html
-