On Friday 09 November 2001 10:08 am, you wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have two IP that are up most of the time, one is Mdk8.1 and the other is
> my Cooker.
>
> Last night the 8.1 logged a try via ftp from a german ....dip.t-dialin.net,
> when I went over to the Cooker box I found that my secure log was empty. I
> looked in my other Cooker installation and found that secure held my
> postfix registration. As I use postfix on this empty box to I got curious
> and went into Mdk8.1 and used ftp but was refused.
> This refusal was not in the log.
>
> On Cooker I usually do my installation, with the cable off to internet, and
> don't use it until BastilleChooser with no server is up and running.
>
> I will wipe out this Cooker in an hour - any good advice for future
> visitors?
>
> regards
> guran

If you want to 'make' invisible your box to the outside world.

the quickest way to port protection is the following iptables chain:

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn -j DROP

or

However, one of the benefits of Linux is its remote management capabilities.
One of the more popular ways that people remotely manage Linux machines is
via the  SSH. SSH typically operates on port 22 and thus, we would  need to
enable connections to port 22, while keeping the rest of the connections
closed. This can be done with the following iptable chains:

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn --destination-port 22 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn -j DROP

sk
--
Thank - you for contacting the SedeComp Communications Technical Support Team.

Current Linux kernel 2.4.8-26mdk uptime: 3 hours 19 minutes.