Has anyone had any success configuring Postfix to use SMTP authentication?

I am using mdk8.1 (with no kinky hacks), and when I try to enable
authentication, I get the following error in my syslog:

postfix/smtpd[32033]: warning: smtpd_sasl_auth_enable is true, but SASL
support is not compiled in

I have tried everything I can think of:

- I have made sure the postfix, cyrus-sasl, and libsasl7-* packages are
installed.

- I created an smtpd.auth file for SASL containing "pwcheck_method = ..."
and tried putting it in both /etc/sasl/ and /usr/lib/sasl/

- I downloaded the SRPM for postfix and rebuilt it, and checked the spec
file to make sure it was configuring and making with the appropriate flags
to compile in SASL support.

- I checked for the latest spec files in the CVS to see if any fixes had
been submitted.

No matter what I try, when I telnet to localhost:25 and issue a EHLO, the
response does not include an AUTH line, and the error above shows up in my
log

At this point, I am stumped. Any suggestions?

--JF