On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 12:37:40PM +0300, Borsenkow Andrej wrote:

> The obvious problem with this approach is that you need new drivers when
> you install kernel not kernel-source.

Indeed.  Which is why it is triggered off the source.  If you know
your system will need to build new drivers when a new kernel is
installed, you should install kernel-source at the same time (or
rather, after booting the new kernel -- see below).

There is one other problem.  In the %triggerin, I determine the kenrel
version using uname -r.  That of course gives the running kernel, not
ncessarily the kernel (for which the source is) being installed.  I
don't know that the triggers get any information from the package
being installed as to the version etc.  This would be optimal.  I work
around this by holding off on kernel-source installation until after I
have booted on it's associated kernel.

> But you cannot build them at this
> moment :-)

Right.

> Otherwise the idea is nice, thank you.

You are welcome.

BTW:  kernel-source was not the package that originally triggered
(NPI) this idea for me.  It was XFree86.  I have a matrox g400 and
like to use the matrox mga driver (linked with hallib) so that I
can do xinerama, etc.  It was a pain to have to go put the matrox
version of the mga driver in place after every XFree86 upgrade.  I had
a trigger that did it for me.

The uses and possibilities for this sort of thing are great and many.
That is why it would be nice to see a meta package in Mandrake Linux
that just facilitated doing this with modifyable shell scripts outside
of the actual meta-RPM.  Everyone likes to add just a little bit
different spice to their chili.  :-)

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell