Marcel Pol ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

Don't forget to mention that these are mostly expiriences from irc,

> I'd like to state a problem about rpmdrake, and add a suggestion.
> On this mailinglist, and even more on irc it happens often that people
> install Cooker packages on a Mandrake 8.1 install, or even on a 8.0
> install.
> Well, that's ok to me.
> But mostly people don't expect their install to break, and they don't
> understand that different versions shouldn't be mixed.

Especially the reactions like, no I didn't do anything wrong. They
broke it.

> What I'd like to see in rpmdrake, is that when you add a Cooker
> source, it states a warning.
> Something in the way of:
> You're trying to setup a Cooker source!
> You shouldn't do this, unless you know what you are doing.
> Cooker is a development version of Mandrake Linux.
> It will break your install, and it is meant to break your install.

Lots of people don't even use urpmi whatever, they never understood
it, they simply install the rpm.

Lets put the following in %prein

if uname != 8.2 then
echo 'warning this is a cooker package'
echo 'do _not_ install'
exit 1

> And another point;
> Rpmdrake has the habit to name a source after the url.
> If I setup a Cooker source from ftp.surfnet.nl, it gets called
> ftp.surfnet.nl.
> I'd like to see a Cooker source to be called Cooker, so that people
> who eventually find out Cooker breaks their install, can remove the
> Cooker source in rpmdrake more easily.

if grep url cooker then sourcename cooker,

Cya, Han.