<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Dear Yves
> Using the last release of draktools, scanner-drake recognized well my
> scanner (Epson Perfection 1200USB), but when I try to run xsane not
> scanner is detected. Using MDK 8.0 in the same computer (I have a triple
> system installed in the computer: windows98, Mdk 8.1 and MDK8.0) ity
> runs fine.
>
> could be a proble of the new use of devs in MDK 8.1?
> How can I solve the problem for 8.1?

i think it's a kernel/devfs/yves related pb.
in your /etc/sane.d/epson:conf you should have:
usb $DEVICE
where $DEVICE is the device for the scanner. scannerdrake must have put
/dev/usb/scanner0 instead of /dev/usb/scanner
ls /dev/usb will tell you.
but why ?
in fact 8.1 kernel comes with a patch made by me to add devfs support in the
scanner driver. this patch was officialy included in linus and ac kernel during some
times. I created a device named /dev/usb/scanner as the driver was not able to
support two or more scanner at the same time.
after the 8.1 release the scanner driver has been corrected by david nelson to
handle two or more scanner, and thus the name created are now
/dev/usb/scanner0 (dev/usb/scanner1 ...).
Because it was quite boring to support my poor kernel patch, i directly
decided to support recent kernel only...
so now, you know all the story !
--
Yves Duret
[EMAIL PROTECTED]