On Sunday, Nov 11, 2001, Sean Dague wrote:

> I am running Mandrake 8.1 on my IBM Thinkpad T21 from the latest Mandrake
> Boxed Set.  Everytime I boot my machine the cdrom device gets a different
> name, ranging from /dev/cdrom1 to /dev/cdrom3.  I have been using devfs on
> my desktop machine for nearly a year now, and haven't seen anything like
> that.
>
> I am currious if anyone else has seen such things, or knows how to make the
> cdrom calm down and stick with one device.  I know I could use the long form
> of the device name, but I am currious why this seems to be happening.

Upgrading to the devfsd from Cooker fixed this problem for me (it was
1.3.18-17mdk at the time).  Because...

* Thu Oct 11 2001 Thierry Vignaud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 1.3.18-17mdk

- fix cdrom link (fergal)

Since I did that, I haven't had any problems with /dev/cdrom (had to
clean out /lib/dev-state before the reboot also).

--
Paul Cox <paul at coxcentral dot com>
Kernel: 2.4.8-31.1mdk  -  Uptime: 6 days 14 hours 39 minutes.