On Tuesday 27 November 2001 07:56 am, you wrote:
> > > real

Well,  it's not so much that the script needs to guess the old kernel real
filenames.  Mandrake's install should just configure lilo or grub initially
to point explicitly to the images it just installed, and then there would be
no problems of this nature in the future.  Straight out of the box, all the
different lilo entries point to the symlinks.  Change the symlinks and re-run
lilo (as evidently make install did) and then you have a problem.

For my own part, I now realize that you can make install a kernel...  I got
this nasty surprise most likely because I typed "make modules install."  I
guess that makes me sound like a moron rank newbie why are you wasting my
time for not knowing that, but I've read every piece of kernel documentation
I could find online, and none of them mention that you can do that.

Mandrake's own manual says: Compiling the kernel and modules, and then
installing modules is done in a single line:

make dep bzImage modules modules_install

No mention of install THERE.  No mention of it anywhere else I've found
either, though I must say it's a wonderful innovation that I will make use of
in the future in a more controlled manner.  If I had known that was going to
happen, I'd've fixed the lilo entries beforehand.

Anyway, I'm still enough of a newbie that I'm sure everyone wants me to shut
up and go be a crybaby somewhere else, so I'll do just that...  :)
--
Silvan Pagan Dragon -=[UDIC]=-
rm -Rf /mnt/windows/windows