Hello,

 Since the introduction of the gnome-control-center package, some of the
settings have been split in a -capplet and -control progy. For instance,
the backgroud is configured from background-properties-capplet and the
background-properties-control does the job of actually appling the
changes.

 If you run the -control it will register with the session-manager and
will be restared on login an thus set the corresponding prefs correctly.
The probleme is that most of the -capplet won't start their -control
part when a change is made. I guess this is so because you don't want to
have as many -control running as changes made in the -capplet.

 The feets which appears on the splash screen are related to this
-control beeing executed and the gnome not knowing what they are for and
thus unable to find an icon for them.

 Actually this mis-understanding between the different gnome components
is such that the gnome-session manager will keep multiple copies of a
-control registered in it's config. If you count the number of feets you
should have as many -control entries in the .gnome/session.

 I don't know if this is mainly a Mandrake or a Gnome bug. Could any one
from Mandrake comment on this ? I'm not a gnome hacker so I may be
wrong.

Cheers,

                                Odie

| Olivier Dormond aka Odie                  [EMAIL PROTECTED] |