Hey!

        A while ago I reported that when using a pcmcia modem (NOT a winmodem) that
the throughput was poor, and that the throughput graph had long periods of no
traffic, then an occasional burst.  External modem on a serial port, same
connection to same isp, to same site, worked fine.   Was a mystery.

        Bought an external modem, also have broadband (which is down today), so
tried out the pcmcia modem, expecting the worst.

        Well.. it works great!  whatever was gunking up pcmcia serial access in
previous kernels from like 4-5 months ago is fixed!   Way to go!  no more
bulky external modem and power supply to carry when I travel!

        V.