Xsane was working from my previous LM 8.1x install

I installed cooker 20011224 with generally good results.
however this is one glaring change I would like to remedy ASAP

My ancient but reliable scsi-scanner IS recognized
xsane is linked with gimp fine.

Trying xsane from terminal or gimp giets VERY long search
for scsi devices and then gives "no devices available"
This used to be a few second process if a device was not attached,
 now 5 minutes !!! Of course this time the device IS attached and recognized as a
scanner at boot..

This is xsane-0.82-1mdk
sane-backends-1.0.6-2mdk
sane-frontends-1.0.6.1mdk

/proc/scsi/scsi shows my scanner ...

Don't know if this is a cooker issue but
it WAS working in LM 8.1

William Bouterse
Talkeetna, Ak