reinhard> Hi!
reinhard> I'm unable to boot my self-made 2.4.17 kernel. When I try it
reinhard> I get the following messages:

Get mandrake 2.4.17.1mdk kernel, and search for a patch called
devfs_noroot, problem is that devfs changed behaviour in one stable
release :(  and you are not able anymore to do an:
        unlink("/dev/root");

that change happened in 2.4.17-preX.  The workaround in Mandrake
kernel is that we don't create that file anymore by devfs.

Now you now what it takes so long to release an official 2.4.17 kernel
in mandrake, not all the reasons was the holidays :)

Notice that the patch(workaround is trivial), but finding that two
damned lines was the difficult part :(

reinhard> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
reinhard> Mounted devfs on /dev.
reinhard> Red Hat nash version 3.1.6-mdk starting.
reinhard> Mounting /proc filesystem.
reinhard> Creating root device.
reinhard> Mounting root filesystem with flags noatime
reinhard> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
reinhard> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
reinhard> pivotroot:pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed:22
reinhard> Freeing unused kernel memory:708k freed.
reinhard> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

reinhard> Note: pivotroot returns error 22. What does this mean ?

Read /usr/include/asm/errno.h to know what errors mean, in this case
it is EINVAL.

reinhard> This is with mkinitrd-3.1.6-16mdk, I also -12mdk (my previous version)
reinhard> without success. This version worked fine with the 2.4.16 kernel. I
reinhard> also updated e2fsprogs to 1.25-2mdk and use the recent modutils
reinhard> 2.4.12-1mdk. (the modutils were also used with 2.4.16 kernel, while
reinhard> e2fsprogs/mkinitrd was updated when the 2.4.17 kernel did not boot).
reinhard> I used make oldconfig with my old 2.4.16 kernel config and left all
reinhard> new 2.4.17 options out.

reinhard> I also tested without initrd image. This fails as well:

as and added bonus, now it is possible (again) to boot with
devfs=nomount and it works :)

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy