On ðÔÎ, 2002-01-04 at 23:17, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> On Friday 04 January 2002 02:41 pm, you wrote:

> > > IIRC, it's a known bug involving a weird interaction between kdeinit and
> > > Xft. Re-running kdeinit from a terminal after a startup have helped some
> > > people..
> >
> > You mean, known bug in KDE3? It worked flawlessly in KDE2.
>
> Actually, likely known bug in XFree86 4.1...
>

> > Just run kdeinit and that's all? Does not work this way here.
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=100925000700002&r=1&w=2
>
> has the best information I could find..

It does AA (and may be it did with original Xfree86 from cooker). The
problem is that if you leave default fonts, KDE3 (or QT3) selects bitmap
fonts for most of them. I guess it is related to locale - I have Russian
obviously - in the sense that different locales have different fonts
available. E.g. default fixed width font is courier - I do have ttf font
(imported from windows) with encoding for Russian and it is AAed. But
default proportional font is Helvetica that (for Russian locale) exists
only as bitmapped font.

KDE2 did some font substitution when AA was enabled so it used different
nimmt :-) job and takes font name literally and does no substitution. In
both cases XftCOnfig is obviously the same.

Could you recommend good reading on qt3/kde3 and AA?

-andrej