> > > At home I installed Mandrake 8.1. Because I have hardware that
doesnt
> > > work fine out of the box I tried to build my own kernel.
> > >
> > > The problem is that installing the new kernel with different
config
> > > overwrites modules and the kernel from the distro cant load any
> > > modules anymore.
> > >

> > This does not (erm ... should not) happen unless you modify
> > configuration in a way that changes some definitions (look how
kernel
> > mkversion works). Simple example is to disable devfs.
> I probably will, some day. But its what are distributions for: you
> dont have to look how everything works.
> If I wanted to know how they all work I would start with slackware 4
> base disks and install anything I might need from sources ;-)

Are you sure you past to right list? This list is devoted to developing
and testing. It presumes some knowledge about how things work (at least
things you write about).

> > > I'd suggest to add some suffix to the kernel version in the
makefile
> > > avoid this problem. It can be removed by people who know what they
are
> > doing
> > > anyway.
> > > ie the built kernel version would be something like
2.4.8-34.1mdksrc

> > People who know what they are doing know that they have to change
> > version string when they make incompatible changes.
> Or that they can change it back when their changes are 'compatible'.
> >

> I runned into this with original Linus kernel already. I just wanted
> know how kernel-source compilation works out of the box.
> If people wanted only compatible changes they would not have to
> recompile, would they? ;-)
> Anyway how do I tell if my change is compatible? The make doesnt write
> anywhere 'Changes to your kernel configuration may render your modules
> unusable for the your old kernel'.

You expect too much from poor computer. In short - if you do no changes
everything works (if not it is a bug. Do you imply that?) If you want to
make changes, you should not install in the same place as distributed
kernel. I do not see any problem here.

Distributed kernel sources are for distributed kernel. If you change
your kernel you get different one and you should not mix them.

-andrej