le mar 22-01-2002 à 01:30, Yura Gusev a écrit :
> On 21 Jan 2002, Fabrice FACORAT wrote:
>
> > 1╟/ when fail to launch miserably and you have to edit config files by
> > hand
>
> newbee does not need to do this. He can use draxconf,wizdrake,linuxconf or
> call for support.

My sentence was : when X fails miserably. sorry.
For example DrakX misconfigured graphic card or there's a bug ( see the
old one for nvidia cards ) and the newbie have to edit XF86Config by
hand by following a friend/expert instructions

> > 2╟/ when some partitions are incorrect  in fstab and you have to boot in
> > single mode ( so only with / partition sometimes ) and have to manually
> > edit fstab
>
> newbee does not need to do this coz' he cant fix nor brake it.
> _Normal_ user can use any editor (exept emacs).

lol
But the pb is :
vi is always there, but joe/pico/emacs/whatevertexteditoryouwant may not
be installed. So most of the time you say : use "vi filetoedit" or check
if this one is installed  if not check this one, if not try "urpmi
thisone" but if there's a pb with his source ( CDROM pb, or other source
of urpmi misconfiguration ), no way to get the text editor simply. So go
take it by hand and hope no dependencies pbs. etc ... Painfull for him
and for me who want to solve his pb.
If for example I knew that pico/nano is always installed as for vi, I
will just say "nano textconfigfiletoedit" and it will be able to edit
the file. If the text editor is simple he will not call me to ask how to
save the file or copy/paste or edit ( vi case because of ESC+i ).

> > 3╟/ when there is a pb and have to edit some files by hand without
> > having X
>
> mcedit or pico.
>
> > 4╟/ if there was a very easy console text editor installed by default,
> > when I will tell someone to modify a file, I will just tell it :
> > "my_simple_editor file_to_modify". Why ? because it's faster than
> > browsing to find the file and because we should encourage user to know a
> > minimum the CLI
>
> No, we dont. We should educate them.

encourage aims to educate. Maybe I did a francism. No it's the right
word.
facilitate CLI approch so that they will be less reluctant to use it, or
else you will have : arf, It's so difficult to install a graphic,
there's no fail graphic mode and to arrange things it's a pain, bla bla
bla

--
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/linux_wizard/index.html
-