I guess, diskdrake should warn at least (or even better refuse to do)
changes if they result in existing partition numbers change. I presume
that is exactly what happened for this poor guy:

(I would insert message id but our nice tools do not allow - at least in
this case - copy and paste between Knode and Evolution).

Hello,

After using diskdrake to change my partition layout I cannot boot
Mandrake (8.1) anymore.

- It says:

Mount: error 22 mounting ext3
well, retrying read-only without any flags
Mount: error 22 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
kernel panic: No init found. try passing init= option to kernel

- What I did:

I wanted to steal some space from a 2GB fat32 filesystem (so called D:
drive in windows).
First I cleared this partition then I started diskdrake and build two
new partitions from it. One 1GB new fat32 one and a 1GB ext2 filesystem.
This seemed okay for Diskdrake all it asked was one reboot.
After booting I never saw Mandrake again.
Any help before I try something stupid again ?

- dangerous comment
More and more I have my doubts about some Mandrake gui utilities.
They look good in the beginning and are very tempting to use but
sometimes they are beginning to look and act as M$ too much :-(
to me that is)