1.  I made a suggestion to you earlier that it could
be that altarch thing, are you on an i686 machine?

2.  It does that when the SPEC file calls an RPM macro
that you don't have.  The choices are to upgrade rpm,
or just edit some spec files to macros you do have.  I
have been changing %old_makeinstall and
%makeinstall_std to %makeinstall and that works fine.
Also, I had to change %configure2_5x to:
WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5=1 %configure

in the AbiWord spec.