I hope we still have time until 8.2. Just to remind - it is a problem of
user Joe installing new kernel (security) update on his system on advice
of Mandrake. So what currently happens is:

1. After initial install user Joe has linux and linux-failsafe intries
(ignore floppy, windows or whatever)

2. when he installs kernel update (be it with rpm, urpmi or even
rpmdrake now!) he gets

linux  -> refers to new kernel
24XX-Y -> still refers to new kernel
 ??    -> NOTHING refers to OLD kernel

So in the worst case if anything goes wrong with new kernel he has no
way to boot old trusted one.

Chmouel, please - installkernel must create backup entry if it not
already exists. I do not care about entry for new kernel frankly
speaking - if you feel it is needed, let it be. It won't affect cooker
users because they always have entry for current kernel already present
- but that WILL make Mandrake more foolproof for normal user out there.

-andrej