Borsenkow Andrej wrote:

[.......]
> > "PCM" device is muted and volume set to 0
> > "Master" device is muted and volume set to 0
> > "Wave Playback Volume" device (4th from the left) has volume set to  0
> >

> FWIW it seems to be default in ALSA (do you use ALSA?). Ask them why
> they do it.

IIRC I read somwhere it was changed from being on (by Mandrake) because
people complained (sound was muted by default when I tried ALSA
seprately some time ago).
Which leads to many newbies thinking sound is broken =].
If sound can be turned on, IMHO those people who want it turned off
know where the mixer can be found, but no sound is confusing for a
newbie.
A mixer icon by default on the taskbar would be a Good Thing.