Hi!

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 08:22:31PM +0000, OS wrote:

> The only thing in common is that they both use the Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.n.
> I have seen similar reports for Sony VAIO's as well. Do they use Phoenix
> NoteBIOS ?

My Sony Vasio FX-301 uses Phonix Bios V4.0. Quite primitive BIOS GUI
(i.e. little options) compared to my older Phoenix-Bios-based laptop.

> I thought about this.  I have an Acer as well as my more modern Dell. It has
> Mandrake 7.2 and hasn't been updated very much. This also freezes on resuming
> ! So, I think this problem has either been around for a long time or the
> Kernel NULL pointer is being caused by something that's running when the
> laptop suspends. I really don't know how far to go back ! The earliest I have
> is Red Hat 5.2 !!!

I would have to test my laptop with Mandrake 7.2 to see, if it freezes
there as well (or try to use a 2.2 kernel, but maybe it's a combination
of APM and the kernel which causes problems). I suppose that the real
problem is a buggy BIOS implementation of APM (they seem to care more
for ACPI than APM but ACPI seems to be currently discouraged by kernel
developers).

Did any one of you test the software suspend patch for kernel 2.4.17 ?
This was posted on LWN (Linux weekly news):
http://lwn.net/2002/0131/a/swsusp.php3

That might be at least a partial solution... (though I agree that the
FN keys are still a problem if they cannot be disabled using Linux).

Regards,

Reinhard
--
Software-Engineer, Developer for Embedded Devices
Project: Pertergrin, a role playing game system