If you didn't catch my earlier message, ~username URLs
don't work.  Trying to go to one (directory has proper
permissions, works with 7.2's Apache) you get a 404,
and this shows up in /var/log/httpd/error_log:

[Mon Feb  4 20:22:16 2002] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]
File does not exist: /var/
www/html/~walser/